Caramelized Onion & Bacon Polenta with Butter Garlic Mussels
1 pkg. Pier 33 Gourmet Mussels in Butter Garlic Sauce
2 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fine cornmeal
3 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. fresh minced rosemary
3 tbsp. finely grated parmesan cheese, divided
1) Cook bacon in medium pot over medium heat until crispy. Transfer diced bacon to paper towels to drain.
2) Turn heat to low. Add onions to pot with rendered fat and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are golden brown and tender, 15-20 minutes. Remove onions with slotted spoon and set aside.
3) Add garlic to pot and cook until fragrant and softened, 2-3 minutes.
4) Add cornmeal and chicken stock to pot, stirring to combine. Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Turn heat to low and continue cooking, stirring every 5 minutes, until thick and smooth, approximately 40 minutes.
5) Stir in salt, pepper, rosemary, and 2 tbsp. parmesan until cheese is melted. Cover and keep warm.
6) Prepare mussels according to package directions. Let cool 2-3 minutes.
7) With a small fork, remove mussels from shells. Reserve mussel broth.
8) To serve, ladle polenta into bowls and top with caramelized onions, bacon, and mussel meat. Drizzle with mussel broth and sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.
Known Health Risk: Consuming raw or undercooked seafood or shellfish may increase your risk of foodborne illness, especially if you have a medical condition. The cooking of such foods reduces the risk of illness.