Mussels in Coconut Milk and Garam Masala
3 lb. All Natural Pier 33 Gourmet Mussels
1/4 cup olive oil
4 tsp. fresh shallots
2 tsp. fresh ginger
2 tsp. fresh lemongrass
2 tsp. roasted garlic
2 tbsp. garam masala spice blend
2 cup dry vermouth
5 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp. Asian fish sauce
2 tsp. Asian sesame oil
6 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt or sea salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup fresh mint
1/4 cup fresh basil
2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. fresh lime zest
4 fresh lime wedges
2 fresh mint sprigs
2 fresh cilantro sprigs
1 fresh basil sprigs
1) Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven cooking using medium low heat. Into the pan add the shallots, ginger, lemongrass, and roasted garlic.; sauté for approximately 30 seconds or until the aromatics have released their flavors. Do not brown the vegetables, stir frequently using a wooden spoon.
2) To the Dutch oven add the Garam masala spice blend, and stir into the sautéed vegetables. Cook for approximately 30 seconds to allow the spice flavors to infuse into the vegetables.
3) To the Dutch oven add the dry vermouth, reduce the cooking temperature to low. Simmer until the volume of the liquid in the pan has reduced by half its original volume.
4) Into the pan add the mussels and the coconut milk, Asian fish sauce, Asian sesame oil, half the quantities of the chopped fresh herbs and spices. Tightly seal the Dutch oven with a lid, increase the heat to medium high. Gently simmer the mussels for 5 minutes shaking the pot occasionally, or until the mussels have opened.
5) Using a slotted spoon decoratively arrange the mussels onto a family style serving platter. Reserve the mussels in a warm area, lightly covered with a sheet of aluminum foil.
6) To the Dutch oven add the remaining chopped herbs, and lime zest. Simmer until the liquid reduces to a light sauce consistency.
7) Turn the temperature off on the Dutch oven, add the softened butter into the sauce and quickly whisk until the butter has emulsified and the sauce has slightly thickened.
8) To Serve: Attractively pour or ladle the aromatic coconut milk sauce over and around the mussels on the heated platter. Symmetrically garnish the platter with the sprigs of fresh herbs and wedges of fresh lime. Accompany the mussels with edges of warmed crusty San Francisco Sour Dough bread or warmed pita bread to mop up all of the delicious broth.
Known Health Risk: Consuming raw or undercooked seafood or shellfish may increase your risk of foodborne illness, especially if you have a medical condition. The cooking of such foods reduces the risk of illness.